For emergencies, call 911

Call your local police if the situation is not an emergency but you suspect it might be against the law. Ask to speak to someone who has been trained in elder abuse, or domestic/family violence.

RCMPA -  Alberta Detachments

Alberta Elder Abuse Awareness Council
The Alberta Elder Abuse Awareness Council is a group of Albertans dedicated to increasing awareness and supporting a community response to elder abuse.
Phone: 780-485-7863

To find help in your community, all across Alberta

Seniors Protection Partnership (Edmonton) 
(formerly called Elder Abuse Intervention Team)
The Seniors Protection Partnership is a collaboration of the Edmonton Police Service, the City of Edmonton, Catholic Social Services, Covenant Health, and Sage (Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton). Its mission is to prevent and respond to high-risk cases of elder abuse by working in partnership with the community, thereby enhancing the well being of older adults.  To report or for more information on elder abuse, contact the Seniors Protection Partnership at 780-477-2929 or the Edmonton Police Service Complaint line at 780-423-4567.

CARYA (Calgary)
Since April 2011, the Elder Abuse Response Team (EART) — a collaboration between Carya, Calgary Police Service, and the Kerby Centre — has been working to support older adults who have experienced abuse.  
The EART is a multidisciplinary team of social workers and police officers that work together to investigate high risk and/or chronic cases of physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, psychological abuse, financial exploitation, neglect, and abandonment that affect older adults.

- To report a suspected case of elder abuse, contact the CPS Non-Emergency Line at 403-266-1234 

- To speak to a consultant or learn about resources, calle the Elder Abuse Resource Line at  403-705-3250

List of available 24-hour, toll-free helplines

  • Senior’s Abuse Support Line 
    780.454.8888 (available 24hrs a day)

  • Provincial Family Violence Information Line
    For resource information in your area

    Toll Free: 780-310-1818 (24 Hour) 

Safe Housing

Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter (CAWES) 
The Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter offers safe refuge, personal counseling, and community support for families experiencing family violence.
Phone: 403-346-5643
Toll Free: 1-888-346-5643
Email:  (not monitored on weekends)  

Edmonton Seniors Safe Housing (Edmonton) 
Safe House Intake, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Phone: 780-702-1520


Older Women’s Long-term Survival (OWLS) 
Support group for older adult women who were living in an abusive relationship, or were dealing with the effects of abuse.
Phone: 403-253-2912 (Calgary)

Protection for Persons in Care (PPC) 
PPC responds to reports of abuse in publicly-funded service providers such as: hospitals, seniors' lodges, nursing homes, mental health facilities, shelters, group homes, addictions treatment centres, many settings funded by the Persons with Developmental Disabilities program, and other supportive living settings.

  • Report abuse – To report abuse, or if you have concerns about the safety and security of a vulnerable adult, call 1-888-357-9339
  • Accommodation standards – For concerns or questions regarding accommodation standards, contact continuing care
  • Complaints about a guardian, trustee, co-decision maker or agent named in a personal directive – For concerns, questions or to make a complaint, contact the Office of the Public Guardian 



Thank You to Our Supporters and Sponsors

CNPEA would like to thank our generous sponsors who contribute to the sustainability of our knowledge-sharing hub

Screen Shot 2015 07 23 at 9.54.16 AM